For assistance with the collections management activities noted below, please contact the U of A Museums at 780.492.5834 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advisory services provided include:
- Verifying steps, timelines and deadlines for each process
- Verifying approval paths as necessary (committees, signing authority, etc.)
- Liaising with government agencies and national authorities
- Liaising with related University of Alberta offices
- Ensuring compliance with U of A Museums and Collections Policy and other university policies
- Ensuring appropriate forms and documentation are acquired, completed and filed
Acquisition of Museum Objects and Specimens
Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES)
- CITES is an international agreement between governments, of which Canada is a signatory. The CITES authority in Canada issues Scientific Certificates to qualifying Canadian academic institutions to facilitate the transfer of specimens of endangered species across international borders for research purposes.
- Museums and Collections Services (MACS) holds the CITES Scientific Certificates on behalf of the entire University of Alberta and processes requests.
- CITES Import/Export Procedures
Cultural Property Certification
Export Permits – Temporary and Permanent
- Objects of controlled cultural property included in the Canadian Cultural Property Export Control List require cultural property export permits when they leave Canada.
- MACS manages the process for registered collections at the University of Alberta.
- MACS also maintains a roster of expert examiners who review export permit applications from other institutions, submitted to Canadian Border Services, and manages the process.
Appraisals for Income Tax Purposes
Incoming and Outgoing Loans
- Registered museum collections borrow and lend objects with other organizations and institutions for purposes including research, display, education, conservation, and authentication.
- In all cases, loans require a formal written agreement between lender and borrower clearly outlining the terms and conditions of the loan and the responsibilities of each party.
- Loans of Museum Objects and Collections Procedure
Deaccessions and Disposition
- MACS coordinates all matters related to insurance of museum collections with Risk Management. This includes an annual review and update, and case-by-case reviews for items on loan (incoming and outgoing).