On April 8, 2014, Chancellor Ralph Young and Provost and Vice-President (Academic) Carl Amrhein joined Janine Andrews, Executive Director of the University of Alberta Museums, for the 15th Annual U of A Museums Celebration, an evening to honour volunteers, staff, curators, and supporters.
"This provides an opportunity to thank everyone who contributes to the U of A Museums, to recognize their untiring efforts," says Andrews. "Without these individuals, so many important projects related to the acquisition, research, teaching, exhibition, and public programming of our museum collections could not be undertaken."
Two collections staff, two curators, and three volunteers were recognized with awards:
- Shirley Harpham, Technician, Bryan/Gruhn Archaeology Collection
- Andrew Locock, Collections Manager, Earth Sciences Department (various collections)
- Noorallah Juma, Former Curator, Soil Science Collection
- Joseph Nelson, Former Curator, Museum of Zoology (Ichthyology)
- Holly Sykora, Volunteer, Friends of the U of A Museums
- Kathy Frazer, Volunteer, Clothing and Textiles Collection
- Colleen Nissen, Volunteer, Clothing and Textiles Collection
The Outstanding Services Awards and Curator Hall of Fame was also unveiled. The event coincided with National Volunteer Week.